LEGAL ACTIVISTS OF COLOR
News, Events, Actions and Commentary on law and social justice. Welcome to the official blog of the United People of Color Caucus (TUPOCC) of the National Lawyers Guild.

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Teague Briscoe, Candidate for Exec. VP of National Lawyers Guild

Teague Briscoe, Bay-area Chicana Activist/Lawyer and former NLG Student VP, is running for Executive Vice President of the NLG. Below is Teague's candidate statement.

"At the risk of seeming ridiculous, let me say that the true revolutionary is guided by a great feeling of love. . . . We must strive every day so that this love of living humanity will be transformed into actual deeds, into acts that serve as examples, as a moving force." – Che Guevara

Sisters and Brothers:

I humbly submit my name as a candidate for the position of Executive Vice President of the National Lawyers Guild. I do so out of a space of great love – love for the struggle, love for those who oppose injustice, and love for the NLG’s history. I believe in the importance of a national organization of legal advocates embodying that struggle by challenging and inspiring ourselves to be better advocates and activists. My commitment to you is to honor the past, present and future of the NLG by approaching the EVP position with perspectives informed by my experiences as an activist and with an eye towards promoting solidarity amongst our members, so that we may advance in our mission to work tirelessly as the legal arm of the movement.

I currently serve as President of the NLG’s San Francisco Bay Area chapter, the country’s largest staffed chapter. I was instrumental in securing $20,000 in foundation grants for strategic planning. Our chapter has embarked on a process that brings members across generation, class, and race together.

As President, I work closely with executive director, Carlos Villarreal, to advance our deficit reduction plan. Like the national office, the NLGSF chapter is experiencing the effects of a depression economy. At Finance, CLE, Strategic Planning, membership, and Board meetings, Carlos and I abide by the principles of effective meetings. In doing so, we foster a board culture that is productive and non-hostile. I look forward to bringing these skills to the NEC.

During my presidency, I worked diligently at assembling a diverse board. Prior to serving as President, I was Vice-President of the chapter from 2007-2008 and Secretary from 2006-2007. My NLGSF EC experience has taught what an EC can accomplish as a strong unit, embodying the diversity of communities that are resented in our organization. I also bring to the table experience representing the interests of NLG students at the national level. From 2005-2007, I served on the NEC EC as National Law Student Vice President. In 2004-2005, I was Law Student President for NLGSF. That year, I won Board approval to raise $8,000 to send students to the convention.

If elected, I will continue to increase and broaden our membership and ally our organization with other folks pushing for radical, progressive change in the law. I will promote and foster communication and solidarity on the EC. I will assist in efforts to raise money for, and awareness of, the NLG. And I will always remain mindful of why we are here: to act, and struggle, with love, in the service of the people and towards the elimination of all oppression.

No comments:

Archive